Want to Work in Canada? Canadian Temporary Foreign Worker Program might be for you

by Uche Onegeria 20 Sep , 2017  

Do you wish to work in Canada? Most foreign nationals can apply to work in Alberta through the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program.

The TFW Program is operated by the Government of Canada and helps Canadian employers fill temporary labour and skill shortages.

Who can apply?

Almost anyone can apply. The program covers all occupations and skill levels. It is used whenever a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident is not available or suitable for the job. Once issued, a work permit includes certain conditions, such as:

  1. Where you can work
  2. Who you can work for
  3. What type of work you can do
  4. How long you can work in Canada

Use the Come to Canada Tool to find out if you qualify for this program.

How do I apply to the Canadian Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program?

  1. Find out if you need a work permit to work in Canada. Once you have applied you can check the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for your application status.
  2. You also need to have a job offer from an employer. Learn how to find work in Alberta. Some jobs in Alberta are regulated and require specific education, licenses or memberships.
  3. Find out if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). In most cases, an employer must apply for an LMIA before you can apply for a work permit. If you need an LMIA, get a copy from your employer.

What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document which an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter. If the employer needs an LMIA, they must apply for one. Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

To apply for a work permit, a worker needs:

Visit the IRCC Help Centre for more information.

What if I don’t need an LMIA?

Most TFWs will need an LMIA, but if you do not, you can apply for an open work permit through the International Mobility Program.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>